Marvel’s The Avengers has set a speed record as of Thursday, climbing to $400 million in just 14 days. This figure doesn’t even include its worldwide accomplishments, passing Toy Story 3 and Pirates Of The Caribbean:Dead Man’s Chest to become the sixth highest-grossing domestic film of all time.
The numbers for The Avengers are staggering, with a cumulative performance of $668.7 million internationally and $402 million domestically. The $1.1 billion in total revenue makes the film the 9th highest-grossing film globally to date.
Below is a list of all records that was “Hulk-smashed” by the film.
· Fastest film to reach $350M (10 days), $300M (9 days), $250M (8 days), $200M (5 days), $150M (3 days) and $100M (2 days) at domestic box office.
· Disney’s fifth release to cross the billion dollar global box office threshold.
· Biggest domestic opening of all time ($207.4M).
· Biggest domestic second weekend of all time ($103M).
· Highest-grossing domestic film of 2012, passing The Hunger Games in just 12 days of release, and is now the 12th highest grossing domestic release of all-time.
· Highest domestic Saturday tally ($69.5M).
· Highest domestic Sunday tally ($57M).
· Second-highest domestic single-day tally ($80.8M).
One note to remember, however, is that these numbers may partially be the result of inflated ticket prices due to the cost of IMAX tickets.